Parents in Florida and elsewhere may have several different options when it comes to making child support payments. Among the most convenient options may be using direct deposit to ensure that money is sent on time each month. However, noncustodial parents may also choose to mail a check or money order to the custodial parent instead.

Regardless of how a parent makes a child support payment, there should be some record that it was made. Therefore, parents may not want to send cash unless they can get a receipt or some acknowledgment that payment was received. A cancelled check or copy of the money order sent may serve as proof of payment. If direct deposit is used, payments may be included in a monthly bank statement. Whether a parent chooses direct deposit or some other form of payment, it must be for the amount set forth in the divorce decree.

It must also arrive on the date each month specified on the decree. To ensure that payments are made on time, it may be a good idea to set a calendar alert or have some other reminder. If parents make partial payments or don’t pay at all, they could face the prospect of being called into court.

Individuals who need help collecting child support may wish to talk with a family law attorney. The same may be true for those who are struggling to stay current with their support obligations. An attorney may be able to either compel payment or help modify the terms of an agreement to make it easier to comply with. If parents don’t make payments as ordered, they might spend time in jail or have their wages garnished until back support is paid in full.