Non-custodial Florida parents who pay child support and who have started a new job might be wondering if their child support order will reflect their new income. This matter is especially important if the parent has taken a pay cut and is unable to make the same child support payments to the custodial payment. The same thing is true if the non-custodial parent’s salary has increased with a new job, and the custodial parent wants to request more child support.

Whenever a custodial or non-custodial parent wishes to change the terms in the child support order, this change is termed child support modification. Because child support orders are issued through a court, it is up to the court to approve any modification requests. Before making its decision, the court will consider various factors such as employment changes that increase the non-custodial parent’s income and if there is a substantial change in the parent’s circumstances. However, if both of the parents come to an agreement on the child support modification terms, and the amount they agree on meets the state’s guidelines, then under the approval of the courts they can make the changes.

While a non-custodial parent’s income changes may be one reason for modifying a support order, there may be other reasons and circumstances necessitating the changes. For instance, the order may be permanently or temporarily modified by a court to meet the needs of a child who has suffered a medical emergency or if one of the child’s parents becomes unable to make the payments due to a temporary monetary hardship. The court may also consider changes due to cost of living, if a parent becomes disabled, unemployed or is remarried.

Sometimes circumstances may require non-custodial parents to increase or decrease the amount of child support payments they make. Many people who face these circumstances turn to a child support attorney for help in setting these sensitive matters.

Source: Findlaw, “Can I Change a Child Support Order After Changing Jobs?”, June 1, 2016