Blanton Law, P.A.
Free Initial Consultation

Altering a child support order in lieu of a new job

Non-custodial Florida parents who pay child support and who have started a new job might be wondering if their child support order will reflect their new income. This matter is especially important if the parent has taken a pay cut and is unable to make the same child support payments to the custodial payment. The same thing is true if the non-custodial parent's salary has increased with a new job, and the custodial parent wants to request more child support.

Whenever a custodial or non-custodial parent wishes to change the terms in the child support order, this change is termed child support modification. Because child support orders are issued through a court, it is up to the court to approve any modification requests. Before making its decision, the court will consider various factors such as employment changes that increase the non-custodial parent's income and if there is a substantial change in the parent's circumstances. However, if both of the parents come to an agreement on the child support modification terms, and the amount they agree on meets the state's guidelines, then under the approval of the courts they can make the changes.

While a non-custodial parent's income changes may be one reason for modifying a support order, there may be other reasons and circumstances necessitating the changes. For instance, the order may be permanently or temporarily modified by a court to meet the needs of a child who has suffered a medical emergency or if one of the child's parents becomes unable to make the payments due to a temporary monetary hardship. The court may also consider changes due to cost of living, if a parent becomes disabled, unemployed or is remarried.

Sometimes circumstances may require non-custodial parents to increase or decrease the amount of child support payments they make. Many people who face these circumstances turn to a child support attorney for help in setting these sensitive matters.

Source: Findlaw, "Can I Change a Child Support Order After Changing Jobs?", June 1, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Talk To An Experienced & Compassionate Lawyer Today. Call 941-584-4263.

Email Us For a Response

Get A Free Consultation

Contact the Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Locations:

Venice Office
1100-C S. Tamiami Trail
Venice, FL 34285

Toll Free: 888-610-0968
Phone: 941-584-4263
Fax: 941-493-5377
Venice Law Office Map

ComCenter at Lakewood Ranch
9040 Town Center Parkway
Suite 204
Bradenton, FL 34203

Map & Directions